The Reality of Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World

 


Veganism continues to be on the rise evident from the current social and marketing trends; people are recognizing the benefits of a vegan lifestyle, restaurants are adding plant-based options, markets are offering plant-based alternatives, and some countries are starting to ban fur trade and farming. Because the number of vegans is increasing around the world, public awareness is growing and going vegan is becoming more attainable for those who wanted to adopt the lifestyle; more people are starting to perceive the negative effects of consuming meat and dairy on the animals, environment, and health. On the other hand, this does not take away the fact that the lifestyle still comes with challenges that are directly and indirectly related to it.  

Gale Tobin has been vegan ever since 1991, the times when veganism was still foreign and there were little to no alternatives in the market. Her compassion for the animals is the primary reason she succeeded in all the initial years—she simply focused on that aspect in order to commit to it. With her years of experience with veganism, she is certainly familiar with all the challenges that vegans naturally go through.  

We asked a number of questions hoping to learn the reality of being vegan in a non-vegan world. Here’s how she answered our questions on veganism:  

What inspired you to go vegan? 

Gale Tobin: I used to love different kinds of meat dishes during my early childhood and young adult years. I loved fried chicken the most and would even grab the leg part first. At the same time, I have always adored animals and I grew up with furry companions. I realized that it was hypocrisy to say that I love animals but still consume them. It was only a matter of time that I recognized how dogs and cats were no different from other animals.  

At first, I had many attempts but each of them failed since you have to understand that being vegan in the ‘90s was no joke—it was incredibly hard given the lack of accessibility and alternatives. I eventually succeeded when I started to focus on the reasons why I want to go vegan. The main reason was for the animals while the other reasons were related to my health and the environment.  

I believe it was a light bulb moment when I was spending my days with our dogs. I realized that I could never hurt them nor any other animals with my bare hands so why would I pay meat businesses to butcher a pig or cow or chicken just to satisfy my hunger and appetite? That itself was the biggest realization that compelled me to commit to it.  

How did you transition to a vegan lifestyle? 

Gale Tobin: I was a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian for a year first, I didn’t consume any kind of meat but still ate eggs and dairy products. After that, I decided to go vegan since I realized that it’s better to fully commit to it. I was already used to that way of eating so transitioning from Lacto-Ovo to vegan wasn’t difficult.  

I planned my dishes, cooked my own meals, brought food to work, and prepared snacks for when we’re traveling or going to a gathering. It takes a lot of meal preparation because you have to be ready when there are no plant-based options available. I would prepare meals that are good for 2-3 days so that I wouldn’t have to cook daily. My usual dishes were stir-fry vegetables and different kinds of pasta since they were the quickest to cook. It’s also an advantage because I learned how to cook at an early age and had the confidence that I would survive on my own.  

I also added more vegetables and plant-based protein into my diet first. During my time, the plant-based protein was usually just tofu and beans—I had a lot of those since they acted as my meat alternative. I certainly enjoyed being in the kitchen, trying out different recipes, and being amazed each time I was able to replicate the meat flavor.  

Now, being vegan is easier than ever because there are plenty of alternatives in restaurants and grocery stores. Though I eat healthier now and avoid most processed food and drinks such as chips, biscuits, cake bars, and soft drinks, I still consume plenty of faux meat.  

What were the difficulties you encountered? 

Gale Tobin: During the ‘90s, the word “vegan” was still considered new and foreign. Not a lot of people understood what it meant but a lot of them certainly mocked it. Explaining to people what veganism is was complicated because they usually had their preconceived notions already. It just took patience and understanding because I also had to recognize that I also came from there and that it was outside of the ordinary. 

Most of the difficulties are not really related to being vegan itself—committing to something you stand up for is not difficult. Once you truly recognize the atrocities that animals have to go through, the switch would be easy. Dealing with people is the complicated aspect. I used to be the only vegan in our family so my meals were different from theirs; I had to buy my own ingredients and cook my own meals. When there were gatherings, I sometimes did not have anything to eat, then that’s when I realized that I had to be prepared for next time.  

Another frustration is continually explaining to friends and family about your lifestyle but some of them still don’t seem to understand it. In my 30 years of being vegan, it’s still bothering to see them eating meat dishes and consuming dairy products. I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of that feeling. 

What are the joys of being vegan? 

Gale Tobin: There are a number of things that made me happy when I first went vegan. I became a more responsible individual given that I learned how to do the groceries efficiently, manage my weekly or monthly food stock, plant my own vegetables, take care of fresh produce, and plan my own meals. If I hadn’t gone vegan at an early age, I probably wouldn’t have developed strong self-sufficiency and time management skills as much.  

I enjoy sharing vegan food with friends and family—yes, even though they may something about it. I always look out for their reaction when they’re amazed that the dish tastes similar to meat or when the dessert is still just as good with non-dairy milk. It’s my way of letting them know that being vegan is not just about raw salads or bland meals, that being vegan is possible and sustainable. That way, I also get to increase their awareness of veganism.   

What I love the most is that I am able to align my beliefs with my actions. I no longer feel bad when I say “I love animals” because I truly do and it’s no longer in the center of insincerity nor ignorance. Speciesism is something that people should know about in order for them to be able to extend their circle of compassion to other animals. 

I also do my own small part in advocating veganism by sharing plant-based dishes, joining animal rights group campaigns, and of course, writing about it. Those are the simple joys that continue to fuel my passion as a vegan.

Originally published at https://galetobin.com on October 14, 2021.

Comments

Popular Posts