How I Was Led to Yoga and Why I Practice It Daily - Gale Tobin

 



Gale Tobin on Yoga
Gale Tobin on Yoga

30 years ago, I decided to embark on a spiritual journey in India. I attended a teacher training at Rishikesh Yoga Teacher Training Center to earn a certification. It was an eye-opening experience that led me closer to understanding myself-an identity that I was trying to navigate for years. I have always been curious about the self and how it connects with the formed beliefs and values that already existed as soon as we were born. In a way, it served as a guide for distinguishing how we should communicate with the world and the people around us. This initial identity allowed me to recognize parts of myself that are innate to my being-something that I have minimal control over. While some of it such as the Catholic religion and meat-eating lifestyle I was born to are no longer serving my present identity, I recognized that it had to happen in order for me to reach the individual I am meant to be. Being open to change allowed me to learn and relearn various perspectives.

Snakes naturally shed their skin due to the fact that their body no longer fits it. Snakes in this period undergo pain, discomfort, and anxiety; their sensitivity and vulnerability to their environment prompt them to look for a safe space that would not disrupt the process. Like a snake, I also went through the same process of outgrowing and rediscovering new layers of identity that aligned with my sense of being. It brought doubts and anxieties as I was in the process of challenging beliefs that the people around me did not understand, even those closest to me. It was simply a transformation that was unknown yet necessary-leading me to a path of awakening.

I had to involve coping strategies that lessened the guilt and confusion. I established habits that fueled my yearnings as much as they brought tranquility. This is how I was led to yoga. A back-bending practice that required a quiet mind. An out-of-mind practice that demanded awareness. A practice that was similar to the period I was in-of ironies that hold purpose. This became part of my daily meditation for the following reasons.

Unplugging from the world

The temptation to grab our phones as soon as we wake up is real. We have been so used to this tendency that we do not even notice that it is already a hobby. We can even go for hours on our phone and we would not complain about it-I mean, it is entertaining to observe the world and society from a distance.

However, this only hijacks our time and body, distracting us from accomplishing our tasks. When I started doing yoga, I immediately noticed how it trained my mind to fight distractions. It enabled me to become fully present in my body. It is one full hour of meditation, of being completely disconnected from social media. It made me reclaim my power over the mind and body.

Quieting the mind

Yoga is all about the breath. It incorporates a variety of techniques to achieve deep breathing. It also benefits us in a lot of ways; it relaxes our muscles, increases our energy levels, reduces anxiety, stress, and depression, and lowers blood pressure. Yoga impels the body to be present, the mind to stay still.

I observed that doing yoga is the complete opposite of all the tasks I had to finish. Almost every task demands deep thinking, but yoga simply called for deep breathing. It gives a sense of calm and peace that made me cherish my “me” time.

Leading to healthier habits

Given that yoga is fulfilled by sensing the mind and body, it also transpired to actions that are done with mindfulness. I am able to become more aware of my body’s natural cues especially in terms of my eating and sleeping habits.

Aside from mindful meditation, I am able to commit to mindful eating-something that a lot of people struggle with. By definition, “ mindful eating (i.e., paying attention to our food, on purpose, moment by moment, without judgment) is an approach to food that focuses on individuals’ sensual awareness of the food and their experience of the food.” I am able to enjoy eating without being a slave of temptations. I feed my body with healthy food that fuels it with the nutrients and energy that it needs.

When I feel sleepy, I let my body fully rest instead of prolonging the night by browsing through social media or occupying my mind with destructive thoughts. I choose to listen to my body as it consciously and subconsciously signals what it needs.

In general, practicing yoga daily made me want to take care of myself more-it trained my mind and body to be present in every moment, mindful of every action and reaction, and conscious of better habits. It made me reclaim my power and identity. — Gale Tobin


Originally published at https://galetobin.com on August 19, 2021.

Comments

Popular Posts